San Diego, Here We Come!

March 23rd, 2010

Well hello again! In my mind, the best part of these blogs is when I can let everyone know that we came home with 10 wins the last two weekends and many great memories. Whoop!

Spring Break. Don’t those words sound so good! Well at least to a college student, spring break sounds so sweet. When the Friday before Spring Break rolls around, most college students are already headed to the hottest vacation/party spot for the next week. Not our team. We stayed put in College Station to play a tournament against Utah State, Wright State and North Dakota State. One of the advantages that I have known from growing up in College Station and that some have come to realize is that when all the college students are out of town, the city turns into a quiet and peaceful town. Being here when most of the students are gone is great; you can actually get places without waiting in traffic, no lines at any of the restaurants and no lines at HEB! J

Anyways, after winning all the games that weekend, we had Monday off of practice, but still had workout with Ray at 9:30 a.m. We had a great workout and then had the rest of the day to relax, pack and do nothing.

The next day was a very long one. My household got up at 6 a.m. to cook a great breakfast before practice at 8 a.m. Now I know you are thinking, why so early? Well Lindsey Sisk re-detached the tendon that she cut during the avocado accident a few weeks back and was headed in for surgery that night again. She wasn’t going to be able to eat anything after 8 a.m., so we got up and made a great breakfast for her and ourselves consisting of french toast and lots of fruit. After a great breakfast, we headed to practice. Once practice was over, we took showers, got ready and were off. San Diego, here we come!

When we landed in San Diego, the weather was gorgeous, the water was blue, but our stomachs were growling! We went to Cheesecake Factory (I’ve come to the conclusion that Cheesecake Factory is not as good without the cheesecake part) and then checked into our hotel. When we got to the hotel, I knew it was going to be a blast when I found out that Missy was my roommate and Kelsea and Sydney had a connecting room to us. After rooming with Missy for an entire week, I have come to know the true meaning of you start acting like the people that you hang around. Missy is known on our team for using the work “Daaaang” a lot and on Friday I completely caught myself using “Daaaang” as a filler word. If I remember correctly it was, “Daaaaang that was a good shower!” Thanks Missy.

The next day, was our vacation day! The bus dropped us off at Mission Beach and we had the day to do whatever we wanted, as long as it didn’t involve getting into trouble, injuring our bodies or getting way too sunburned. Throughout the day we shopped, laid out and soaked up the sun, saw some surfers put on a show and just enjoyed the day and each other. One moment that stuck out in my mind was when a lifeguard came up to us and started talking to us and then guessed we were a softball team from out of state. Now, I think he knew that from our awful farmer’s tans, but he said he knew because “we were a group of girls (more than 3) that hung out with each other and genuinely liked each other.” He said that he knew we were a team because usually girls don’t hang out with more than 2 other girls unless they are a team and he said that he knew we weren’t from California because California girls don’t genuinely like anybody! This comment made me laugh. When 3 p.m. came around we packed up camp and went back to the hotel. Coach didn’t want us out at the beach all day because she knew most of us hadn’t really seen sun since August and she didn’t want us to be too sunburned to play our best on Friday. Next, we took our own little tour of downtown San Diego.

After Wednesday, vacation was over and it was time to get to work. We had practice at 9:30 a.m. at San Diego State’s fields. We did our splits, then hit live off of the pitchers and then finished it out with a competition. After practice we went back to the hotel and had the rest of the day to explore San Diego again.  For me, I was able to see my Aunt Leila, Uncle Brent and my cousins Maddy and Thomas! My uncle is a Captain on the U.S.S. Nimitz, one of the biggest aircraft carriers in the world, so to see them was so amazing. Thursday night, I was able to go to their house for a great dinner and spend some time with them. From being in the Navy, they have lived in Japan and now he is stationed in San Diego so it really was awesome to see them and get to catch up. They were able to come see the games and I know they were fans already, but seeing the games I think made them even bigger fans of Fightin’ Texas Aggie softball.

The next day was game day and it was so good to take the first two from Harvard and Long Beach and then to come out with two wins on Saturday and one on Sunday was perfect. Our pitchers were amazing this weekend. Coach always says that you go to war with your teammates and I can honestly say that after this weekend, I want each and every one of my teammates down in the trenches with me. We played some hard-fought games and had fun while playing them. It can’t get much better than that!

After all the good times and games I was definitely ready to get back to College Station.  The people and places in San Diego were so nice. We met a lot of new friends who promised to keep up with Aggie softball throughout the season. After a long day of games, flying and bussing, we arrived in College Station around 12:30 a.m. with just enough time for sleep for the next day of classes and workout. I guess you could say we had enough vacation time and now it’s back the everyday grind.

Blooper #5: K.O.’s Profound Thoughts
When the national anthem is being played before a game, to me it is one of the most moving times in an athletic career. Away from the close wins, amazing catches and shut outs, there is something about the national anthem that gets me. Well, on Sunday before our game, the national anthem was playing and the wind was blowing the flag that everyone in the stadium and on the field was looking at. Well everyone except for Kelsea Orsak. She was on my right side, as was the flag, and I caught a glimpse of her starring out into the sky with this look on her face. I could tell by the look that her brain was churning and she was thinking something really profound. I started chuckling on accident just because Kelsea is known for sometimes being in her own little world and when the national anthem was done, I asked her what in the world she was thinking about. She replied “I was trying to figure out why number 6 on their team has a pair of handcuffs around her belt.” I just started cracking up and literally crying. The handcuffs are another story.

  • Print
  • email
  • Facebook
  • Twitter